STARS - Thermal & Advanced Processes Reservoir Simulator
STARS is the undisputed industry standard in thermal and advanced processes reservoir simulation. STARS is a thermal, k-value (KV) compositional, chemical reaction and geomechanics reservoir simulator ideally suited for advanced modelling of recovery processes involving the injection of steam, solvents, air and chemicals. The robust reaction kinetics and geomechanics capabilities make it the most complete and flexible reservoir simulator available.
- Accurately model the physics of all in-situ recovery processes
- Multi-scale modelling from core floods to field-scale
- Increase confidence in field development plans and support capital expenditures
- Modelling for dispersed components and simulate formation of emulsions and foams, and predict asphaltene precipitation/deposition
- Design accurate SAGD well pairs
- Seamless integration with CMOST for rapid, accurate history matches and uncertainty analyses, while leveraging limited engineering time
SHOW ALL CONTENT | HIDE ALL INFORMATION
As industry implements more complex thermal projects, STARS remains the choice for advanced and experimental recovery processes, including conductive and radio-frequency (RF) heating.
- Industry standard for thermal heavy oil modelling
- Robustly models SAGD, hot solvent injection and cyclic steam injection
- Simulates asphaltene formation
- Multi-scale modelling from core floods to field-scale
- Optimize operational and completion strategies to reduce steam-oil ratio and increase NPV and ultimate recovery with CMOST
- Calibrate and history match models with field data including temperature logs and 4D seismic with CMOST
- Decrease interfacial tension and wettability, and recover more oil
- Simulate polymer to improve the mobility ratio of the flood front
- Full physics capabilities, to support modelling of a range of chemical process combinations
- Mechanistically model complex foam-flooding physics
- Simulate formation and breaking up of emulsions and foams
- Model multi-stage, multi-component gelation and syneresis
- With CMOST, optimize chemical EOR operational parameters to increase recovery and reduce chemical costs
Use Image: WellborePicture5
FlexWell, a complex flexible wellbore modelling tool, models a variety of wellbore completion configurations, including concentric wellbores and flow-control devices, while properly accounting for well trajectories.
- Flexible wellbore modelling of complex configurations
- Accurately simulate well geometry and steam configuration
- Model undulating wells through multiple layers
- Improve fluid mobility by modelling multiple heater cables
STARS is now coupled to surface network modelling software to allow simultaneous modelling of the reservoir and the surface. Coupling surface network modelling with reservoir simulation provides insight into the complexities of the subsurface while the network simulator accounts for changing network conditions.
- Seamless integration with surface network modelling software
- Predict full field performance
- Ability to model single or multiple reservoirs
- Multi-phase flow in both the gathering system and wellbore
- Use CMOST to optimize both the reservoir and surface system simultaneously
- Porosity-dependent and solid-component-dependent geomechanical properties
- Model subsidence, compaction and dilation behaviour
- Simulate stress-induced phenomena - plastic deformation, shear dilatancy of produced and injected fluids, near wellbore formation collapse and sand production
New Feature Highlights:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: After this 2014 General Release, CMG will no longer test, ship or support subsequent software releases on the Windows XP operating system. Customers using Windows XP can continue to use the 2014 release or older. In addition, CMG only supports 64-bit operating systems and hardware, so customers using 32-bit systems should use the 2012 release or older
All CMG simulators have a base set of common modules to ensure compatibility, speed and quality of output remains consistent.
Advanced gridding options
Adaptive Implicit Formulation
Comprehensive Rock-Fluid Interaction
64-bit Windows & Linux
Seamless integration with CMOST
This course introduces the latest features of the pre- and post-processing technologies used with CMG simulators. These include Builder, which provides data preparation for black oil (IMEX), compositional (GEM) and advanced thermal/chemical process (STARS) simulators. Note: This course was formerly known as 'Introduction to IMEX, Builder & Results'. Read more...
This course introduces concepts of the STARS simulator with emphasis on component design and other advanced features available in STARS. Read more...
Numerical Tuning Techniques for CMG Simulators (1 day)This course introduces concepts of CMG simulators — IMEX, GEM, STARS — with an emphasis on numerical tuning and diagnosis of STARS problems. Read more...
SAGD Simulation using STARS (4 days)This course reviews the basic concepts of SAGD recovery and how to simulate this process using STARS. After a review of basic concepts this course provides detailed instruction on the complexities of simulating this extensively used bitumen recovery process. Read more...
Chemical EOR Simulation using STARS (3 days)This course introduces the basic concepts of chemical flooding and how to simulate this process using STARS. The topics progress from laboratory design through simulations to field implementation. Read more...
Advanced Wellbore Modelling in STARS (2 days)The Flexible Wellbore (FlexWell) Model is a fully-coupled implicit wellbore model which supports accurate calculation of the wellbore pressure gradient to determine its impact on reservoir inflow/outflow. Read more...
This course introduces geomechanical concepts from simple dilation/compaction table input to complex finite element strain/stress approaches. Stress-related phenomena are discussed including rock deformation and subsidence. Read more...
This course begins with geological characterization of carbonate fractured reservoirs, NFRs, in terms of matrix and fractures, then moves on to the determination of the intrinsic and effective properties needed for reservoir modelling. The course explores the concepts of wettability, Pc and Kr curves of carbonate reservoirs. Read more...
Product Overview: A4
Technical Specifications: A4