STARS - Thermal & Advanced Processes Reservoir Simulator
STARS is the undisputed industry standard for thermal, chemical EOR and other advanced processes. STARS is ideally suited for advanced modelling of recovery processes involving the injection of steam, solvents, air and chemicals. The robust geochemical and geomechanics capabilities make STARS the most complete and flexible reservoir simulator available.
With STARS, you will:
- Accurately model the physics of all in-situ recovery processes
- Model complex wellbore physics associated with heat transfer and fluid flow in the wellbore
- Full physics capabilities to support modelling a wide range of cEOR processes
- Test impact of recovery process on reservoir rock by including geomechanical effects in the simulation model
- Attain results faster than ever before with increased parallel speed up
- Seamless integration with CMOST for rapid, accurate history matches and uncertainty analyses, while leveraging limited engineering time
SHOW ALL CONTENT | HIDE ALL INFORMATION
- Simulate simple to highly complex thermal recovery processes
- Dynamic monitoring of temperature along the wellbore provides greater flexibility in steam trap control and prevents steam breakthrough
- "Soft" steam constraints specify range of values to operate in for smoother well control
- Specify temperature dependence on permeability to simulate effects of shale breakage at high temperatures
- Model effects of asphaltene, precipitation, flocculation, deposition and other solid plugging
- With CMOST, optimize operational and completion strategies
- Easily set-up various chemical processes (geochemistry, ASP floods, and foam injection) using Builder's process wizards
- Accurately model effects of IFT reduction in the reservoir, via recurrent relative permeability interpolation
- Reaction kinetics for rate-temperature-concentration dependent processes
- Mechanistically model complex foam-flooding physics, or full-field enhanced low salinity waterfloods
- Capture the formation, breaking of emulsions and foams
- Model important fluid-reservoir rock chemical reactions (aqueous electrolyte chemistry, precipitation/dissolution of minerals and ion exchange with clays)
- With CMOST, optimize chemical EOR operational parameters to increase recovery and reduce chemical costs
- FlexWell accurately handles: multiple tubing streams, packers, cross flow, phase segregation & transient behavior
- Model different FCDs using built-in correlations or generalized table input to optimize injection strategy
- Use electrical or steam heating options insdie the wellbore to model the preheat stage
- Simulate undulating wells through multiple layers and accurately follow trajectories
- Choose between different density mixing rules for property calculation
- Iteratively coupled, finite-element based module for accurate calculation of geomechanical effects
- Model porosity-dependent and solid-component-dependent geomechanical properties
- Simulate stress-induced phenomena (sand production, near wellbore formation collapse and elastic or plastic deformation)
- Set matrix permeability to be a function of stress or strain to match lab data
- Decrease project turn-around time
- Utlize different numerical tuning techniques to run simulations faster than before
- Apply DynaGrid amalgamation to significantly speed up simulation models, while maintaining accuracy in the reservoir
- Reduce capital expenditures with efficient use of current IT computer hardware
- Quickly load large data sets with the new standardized SR3 files
- Additional parallelization increases parallel speed-up when jobs are submitted on a higher number of cores
New Feature Highlights:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you would like access to an unsupported version of CMG software, for Windows XP or 32-bit capabilities, please contact our sales team.
All CMG simulators have a base set of common modules to ensure that compatibility, speed and quality of output remains consistent.
Adaptive Implicit Formulation
Seamless integration with CMOST
64-bit Windows & Linux
Introduction to CMG's Modelling Workflows Learn the basics of reservoir simulation and build a black oil simulation model using the latest pre-processing and post-processing technology available for CMG simulators: IMEX (black oil), GEM (compositional) and STARS (thermal).
Introduction to Thermal EOR Modelling Build your expertise in component design, thermal properties, steam flood, CSS as well as some advanced thermal EOR concepts and features available in STARS.
SAGD Simulation Build proficiency needed to design, modify and analyze typical SAGD simulation datasets using CMG's thermal and advanced processes reservoir simulator STARS.
Best Practices for SAGD Simulation Learn the practical aspects related to SAGD to improve simulation run time and results.
Advanced Wellbore Modelling Learn concepts related to the advanced wellbore model (FlexWell) and develop strategies for simulation of wellbore clean-up, SAGD circulation and SAGD reservoir response using different wellbore configurations.
Chemical EOR Simulation Apply the practical knowledge of tertiary recovery methods and their simulation using STARS to design and optimize the EOR process for your specific field.
Geomechanics Learn the fundamentals of geomechanics and use latest technology from simple dilation/compaction table input to complex finite element strain/stress approaches.
Solvents-Additives for EOR Modelling Review basic concepts of the solvent-assisted recovery processes for heavy oil and bitumen and learn how to simulate these processes using STARS.
Practical SCAL for Heavy Oil Reservoirs Discuss the concepts and different elements of SCAL data, and how it changes as a function of a reservoir's heterogeneity and wettability.
Numerical Tuning Techniques for CMG Simulators Learn how to fine tune your dataset and improve performance by applying specific analysis techniques, such as analyzing numerical output parameters, adjusting the input data, diagnosing small timestep problems and non-convergence.
Foamy Oil Modelling Learn different approaches to modelling foamy oil behaviour in heavy oil reservoirs and their effect on production, typically observed in field and lab experiments.
Air Injection ModellingLearn key reservoir engineering aspects of air injection based improved oil recovery processes and how to simulate them in STARS.
Modelling of Carbonate Naturally Fractured Reservoirs Create, modify and analyze simulation datasets and their results while simulating naturally fractured reservoirs using advanced CMG technology.
Introduction to Thermal and Chemical EOR ModellingBuild simple STARS datasets for thermal and isothermal chemical EOR simulation purposes. This course is only available in the UK.
Thermal and Advanced Processes Simulation Review the mechanisms involved in thermal EOR and how to apply advanced functionality available in STARS to simulate these extensively used oil recovery processes. This course is only available in South America.
Chemical Flooding Review basic concepts of chemical flooding and how to simulate this process in STARS. This course is only available in South America.
Numerical Tuning Case Study - a summary of SPE-165511 which discusses an innovative numerical tuning workflow for a Canadian full-field thermal heavy oil project.
To view any of our previous webinars, please log into the User Area (teal tab at the top right) and select the appropriate session. For STARS, you may be particularly interested in the following presentations:
- Advanced Parallelization Techniques to Optimize and Boost Simulator & Hardware Performance April 2016
- The Role of Coupled Geomechanical Modelling in Reservoir Simulation November 2015
- What's New in CMG's 2015 General Release July 2015
- Advancements in Numerical Performance and Simulation Speed-up June 2015
- Modelling & Optimization of Advanced Wellbore Completions in SAGD April 2015
CMG EventsDuring the 37th Technical Symposium (June 2016), several STARS related papers were presented. Please log into the events archive to access the following presentations:
- Advances in STARS Development, CMG
- Advances in FlexWell Development, CMG
- Data Coupled Meta-Modelling for SAGD Production Forecasting/Optimization, GE Global Research
- Imaging Based Reservoir Characterization, Alberta Innovates - Technology Futures
- In Situ Upgrading Technology (ISUT) - Simulatenous EOR and Upgrading for Oil Sands and Carbonate Reservoirs, University of Calgary
CMG regularly contributes technical papers to SPE conferences and workshops. Below is a small selection of technical papers authored or co-authored by CMG where STARS was used.
- SPE 174494 Modelling of Non-Condensable Gas Injection in SAGD Process: Important Mechanisms and the Impact on Field Scale Simulation Models
- SPE 170051 Evaluating the Importance of Geomechanical & Reservoir Properties when History Matching 4D Seismic Data in SAGD Wells
- SPE 170189 Impact of Fractures Characterization, Wettability and Hysteresis on Thermal Recovery Processes in Carbonate Naturally Fractured Reservoirs
- SPE 170130 Quantifying the Uncertainty Associated with Caprock Integrity during SAGD using Coupled Geomechanics Thermal Reservoir Simulation
- SPE 170076 SAGD Wellbore Completion Optimization using Scab Liner and Steam Splitter