Note: This course is taught in English
Nota: Este curso se ofrece en Inglés.
October 17, 2023 - 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM MDT (GMT-6)
In this course you'll learn about geothermal energy and various geothermal energy extraction techniques. Learn to simulate the extraction of geothermal energy and model the heat extraction by producing hot water from and injecting cold water into a hot geo-pressured reservoir using CMG’s thermal and advanced processes reservoir simulator STARS. Create, modify, and analyze simulation datasets and results using Builder and Results in this hands-on training course. Capture relevant reservoir processes and wellbore heat transfer using STARS and quantify the effect of various reservoir parameters on energy extracted using CMOST.
- Overview of geothermal energy
- Worldwide outlook
- Methods of extraction
- Overview of STARS Features and Applications:
- Thermal properties and model creation
- SAM wellbore modelling
- Creation of Geothermal base model incorporating wellbore model and constraints
- Adding water injectors to base model for pressure maintenance
- Sensitivity analysis of a geothermal model using CMOST
- Single Geothermal Well-Closed Loop System
- Enhanced Geothermal System (EGS)
Ali, a Senior Reservoir Simulation Engineer (P. Eng) with +13 years of Canadian and international experience. Ali’s primary areas of interest include reservoir simulation studies (thermal and non-thermal), pressure transient analysis, rate transient analysis, DFIT and field development optimization in conventional and unconventional reservoirs. In past few years he has been heavily involved in energy transition projects including Geothermal and CO2 Sequestration. He earned his M.Eng and Ph.D degrees from the University of Calgary, all in petroleum reservoir engineering.